Monday, May 3, 2010

First Digital Survey for Pratt///May 3, 2010

WOOPS!  I skipped yesterday!  That was for good reason though.  Today marks the first time Pratt (or at least the COMD Department) uses digital projection for survey.  Standing by an unbiased opinion the digital format is good and bad.  While students do not have to worry about how they'll set up their wall they'll also save money by not spending it on stuff like background paper and matting materials.  This is also bad because survey is meant to display your work the way you want to (within your budget, of course).  So, juniors are the only ones doing digital this year as seniors and sophomores will still put up their work matted and pretty.

The pros of this are:

Cost efficiant
Time saving
You are not limited to a certain space
Saves professors time from traveling to each wall
clean looking

Here are the cons:

Each piece must be viewed one at a time
2 minute presentation and 3 minute critique
Due date for a cd of your work to be put onto the screen before survey
No wall, no decorating, no personality
You can't set up and go back to sleep, then come back later to clean up

In my honest opinion, I think it's good that Pratt is going digital, but I think it could be handled better.  After all, they are using the junior class as a test subject in an experiment.

As for the lack of a post yesterday.  I was having a bit of a rough day.  Actually, more like a rough couple of days.  Saturday the bank put a hold on my card for trying to buy a bed frame at IKEA.  Worst timing BoA!  Then I had to put stuff back, couldn't buy food and that was only Saturday.  Sunday I was trying to find scanners to use in the EDS with my friend, Chris, and they were all taken by people not even using them!  That and there were computers without scanners open.  The MCC was like that too, except one room.  they were reject scanners and didn't scan more than 8.5"x11".  Wasn't my weekend.

ALSO, today the gas company came and didn't do anything because I don't have access to the basement of my apartment.  The bar was closed and doesn't open until 6 everyday.  BAH!

Now I am printing on large scale for fun for survey.  Lucky me that I work with large scale printers!  Here are some finished stuff I didn't post yet...


No comments: